Flaming Raisins and Honorificabilitudinitatibus

Reading over my favorite website this morning, I came across an entry on "honorificabilitudinitatibus", one of my favorite obscure-and-otherwise-useless words. I don't know why I like long words so much. (Perhaps it's because they're so difficult to spell. Anything so difficult to spell must be worth writing.)
As noted in Quinion's article, the sesquipedalian word is found in one of Shakespeare's plays (Love’s Labour Lost, Act 5, Scene 1):


I marvel thy master hath not eaten thee for a word;
for thou art not so long by the head as
honorificabilitudinitatibus: thou art easier
swallowed than a flap-dragon.
In case some of you are unfamiliar with the story:
An anagram of honorificabilitudinitatibus is Hi ludi, F. Baconis nati, tuiti orbi. In English, this says: “These plays, F. Bacon’s offspring, are preserved for the world”. This little gem of misapplied cryptography was presented by Sir Edwin Lawrence-Durning in 1910 in his book Bacon is Shakespeare as a hidden message left by Francis Bacon, who (as some are convinced) actually wrote the plays usually said to be by Shakespeare.
That's not what I wanted to make note of, though. What I found really interesting in Quinion's article is his brief description of the "flap-dragon" referenced in the passage:
(Somebody’s now sure to ask me about flap-dragon. It was the name given to a game in which the players snatched raisins out of a dish of burning brandy and extinguished them in their mouths before eating them. By extension, it was the burning raisins used in the game.)
So, the Elizabethans had their own set of disastrously dangerous drinking games of flaming death! Somehow, I'm surprised that this game hasn't caught on with graduate students... Surely there's an international flap-dragon society out there somewhere...
Not that I'm going to go out and try it, or anything.
After all, I don't drink brandy!

[wonders what other 80 or 90 proof spirit would taste yummy with singed raisins...]

No comments: