Love and Freedom

What is love, anyway?
I was playing Max Payne 2 last week, and inbetwixt the bullet-riddled action sequences I found a small quote about love that I thought was worth mentioning.
Max suffers from survivor's guilt: his wife and child were brutally killed by the mob (yadda yadda...) and he's trying to come to grips with a life outside of his avenging angel lifestyle.
At one point, he says something about realizing that his love for his wife was as dead as she was, but that it is also the only kind of love that he can possess.
I heard a man on a radio interview say that his most valuable possession was his wife; whether that's true or not is beside the point. A possession will never be something that you love; only something that you control.
Love is a reciprocal and free action, rather than a state of being. Love can't be reduced to just any kind of dependency or "intimate relationship," those states of being and relating include too many other things.

I'm pretty sure that "love" is a decision, and that "being in love" is the most misunderstood phenomenon in modern life.

Stay tuned for more on Love, Freedom, and Pirates...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dan, I think you actually have a way better concept of love than most guys I know. Good Job.

Unknown said...

or girls for that matter