A Long Time Ago

30 years is a long time. Hollywood isn't that far away, but still...
It still surprises me that there was a time before Star Wars. What did nerds do for fun before there were minor technical inconsistencies to argue about? What did children dream about doing late at night, staring up at the stars? Which heros could a wet-behind-the-ears farm kid really identify with before we had Luke Skywalker, the intergalactic whiner?

I suppose LOTR and Lewis' Cosmic trilogy have shaped my life almost as much as Star Wars, but there's something deep, dark and primordial about Space Opera that even Tolkien couldn't quite get to. It's not psychological, it's iconic.

I'd better finish this post with a photochop before I start complaining about the special editions/prequels...

No comments: