Possibility, Sleep, and Advent.


snapdrive.net

Christmas is (nominally, anyway...) a celebration of birth, yet we keep it in the middle of winter, the season of sleep. Easter, on the other hand, the remembrance of death and the celebration of rebirth, is held in the spring, that is a season of fertility and greenery and new life.
There's something backward about that, isn't there? I can't help feeling a bit disaffected by the celebration side of Christmas. Winter is a time for hibernation, for a slow and peaceful death, for a comfortable acceptance of the waiting that is a part of all renewal.

Maybe I'm reading too much into all of this. Maybe Holidays don't have anything to do with the time of year, and I need to get over my neo-pagan ways of living out spiritual existence.

In any case, I wish you all a very merry Christmas.

No comments: