Booking and Reading and Schooling

"Deb" started working in the CS office a few weeks ago, and her teenage daughter is helping out with filing and phones and so forth. On Monday I noticed that she was reading the Screwtape Letters with her, but I didn't get a chance to ask about it. Today, I noticed a new book sitting on the desk, a collection of G.K. Chesterton's Father Brown stories.
I asked if she liked Chesterton's writing, and she noted that it was her friend's book.
The next obvious question was "is your friend homeschooled?" to which I need not repeat the answer.

Are homeschoolers are set apart by the books they read, or is it something even more than that?

I didn't read Chesterton until after I un-graduated from High School, but I was still in the homeschooling mindset at that point.
If presented with Father Brown as a University student, i would probably buy an inexpensive copy of the book or put it off until i could find it at the library. In either case, I'm pretty certain I wouldn't get around to reading the stories unless required by a course. Even this summer, the books I've read have all related in one way or another to my upcoming M.A.

Maybe homeschooling is more of an approach to reading novels than it is a set of books... Then again, I can't think of anyone I know who has read Father Brown and is/was not homeschooled. Hmmm.

No comments: