Common Grace

Jim and I went to Nick's gig at the Sidetrack, and it was good. As always, live sounds better than canned.
"Alberta Blues" is fun, in an Alberfoundland/Newfoundmonton kind of way. (I can't see myself with a 36" anytime soon, but I can't say I don't want one... Bigger is better. Wait, this song is about TVs and pickups, right Nick...? Crazy newfies...)
Anyway, after one of his songs (can't remember which) Nick played "Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing." The mood was calm and a bit wond'rous, so the couples were dancing. (The Sidetrack is, after all, a nightclub.)
I'm not sure how I feel about couples dancing to hymns.

On the one hand, it makes sense. Hymns are about love, they're catchy, and they have a strong melody. It's a bit infectious; either you sing, or you clap, or you dance.

On the other hand, none of those people were specifically recognizing God. They were recognizing each other, and perhaps they were recognizing the Imago Dei, but I don't imagine that any of them were sober enough to recognize theological implications. In fact, they might have been thinking lustful things.

If people are going to think lustful thoughts in nightclubs (or anywhere, for that matter,) is it better that there's a Hymn playing at the same time?
Doesn't God's glory dwell in the praises of his people? Jesus said that infants have perfected praise, so spiritual infants must give some kind of glory to God when they stumble around in the dark.

Sin is everywhere. We are lost. That's the obvious point, but there must be some kind of a balance through the grace of created order, right? We were created for unity, so unity is good; it's better than discord, at any rate.
Hmmm. Does that mean I should try to write books with the secular readers of the world in mind, or that I should write books for the glory of God and hope that the rest of the world catches onto how amazing that is?



No comments: