Happy Birthday, Jack!

Can you guess whose birthday it was on this day in 1898?
I feel a bit guilty, missing his "death"(farewell?) day a week or so ago.
Colson gives a good summary of the reasons I have for loving the professor's writing with an undying fervor, although I think the "prophetic" comment is a bit hyperbolic. Christian humanism has been around at least as long as Søren Kierkegaard, and the ideas are certainly implicit in the gospel message. Then again, part of a prophet's role (as far as I can tell) is to put God's logos into a language that the age can understand, even if they reject it.

At any rate, Lewis' writing is one of the biggest reason I'm going (by His grace) for a PhD. So here's a toast to the red-faced Irishman; may his soul find a truer and more real language in that new life than any he found in this world of signs and signifiers.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Of course we celebrate birthdays as they role around each year; but every year the undiscovered anniversary of our demise also comes and goes without us recognizing it. What if we knew the day, so we could memorialize ourselves, but not the year so we never know if this is the day or merely a pre-anniversary.

Jack said...

Hmm. Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.